Thursday, October 24, 2013

In the classroom...Abstraction grids by my students

My research on grids and abstraction has creeped its way into my high school photography classes. I knew working on my MFA would influence my creative practice (of course) but I've welcomed its impact on my teaching practice as well. It's interesting to test out research ideas with my students. For example, in this year's integrated Photography and Philosophical Literature class, students have been studying notions of perception and reality. These grids made by students represent visual explorations of how one image can manifest into something completely new. What are similarities/differences between the original photo, the grid, or each abstracted square? How do all of these renditions shape perception? Is it all the same no matter how you slice n' dice it? These have been fun inquiries to explore with students. And the correlation to my grid experiments (at least visually) seems pretty clear... perhaps these may be working better than mine!

By LH
By LP

By CG



No comments:

Post a Comment