Sunday, October 21, 2012

2 Documentary Films

I recently checked out 2 interesting art films. 

The first titled Press Pause Play reminded me of some of the discussions brought up in my June residency elective seminar titled "Visual Remix" with Oliver Wasow. While the documentary mainly discusses how the film and music industries are changing with the digital revolution, other forms of art are discussed as well. The film is viewable free on Vimeo at http://vimeo.com/34608191.

A synopsis on idmb reads:
The digital revolution of the last decade has unleashed creativity and talent of people in an unprecedented way, unleashing unlimited creative opportunities. But does democratized culture mean better art, film, music and literature or is true talent instead flooded and drowned in the vast digital ocean of mass culture? Is it cultural democracy or mediocrity? This is the question addressed by PressPausePlay, a documentary film containing interviews with some of the world's most influential creators of the digital era.


Another film I viewed is titled Jean-Michel Basqiuat: The Radiant Child. I've wanted to watch this documentary on Basquiat for a while now and it finally came up on my Netflix cue. I learned more about this young artist, his work, and short-lived career. I enjoyed learning about his collages and extremely busy but strategic canvases, especially as I am testing out collage in my own work with postcards. It's difficult to make collage work, but when it does it's impact can be quite powerful and make the various elements feel as if they were always meant to be together. I also learned of Basquiat's friendship with Andy Warhol and his time spent in Hawaii.






No comments:

Post a Comment